Metabank - Don't Do Business With Prepaid Visa Upside Cards

The company behind the Prepaid Visa Upside Debit Cards has an F rating with the BBB (Better Business Bureau).The BBB has noticed a pattern of complaints concerning Metabank---Cardholder Services.

Specifically, consumers are alleging that after purchasing prepaid credit cards, Metabank places holds on the cards disallowing consumers from accessing the funds on the prepaid card (13 complaints filed against business.

Failure to respond to 5 complaints filed against business.

Business has failed to resolve underlying cause(s) of a pattern of complaints).My husband and I did business with these cards and company and learned the hard way.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Helpful? 36 Yes 36 78 No 78
Had the same issue 6 Yes 6
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Apr 27, 2015 #977369

Never do business with this bank stay away. They offer a value load feature in which I used my husbands checking account to load funds they withdrew the money twice and claim there was a lag in there system which would of causes the double transaction I can't get ahold of anyone in there fraud dept do they even have one? My husbands bank investigated and they are not able to explain why it was debuted twice. I'll be filing a lawsuit in small claims

Aug 19 #1201123 Miami, Florida

How do I file a lawsuit against them did the same to me

Jan 25, 2015 #936097 Fairfax, Virginia

Best prepaid card is Bluebird by American Express. Costs nothing, no monthly fees. Normal fees for ATM withdrawal but free direct deposit, free cash money load at walmart. Free for every credit card transaction. You can deposit checks with their app :) who would get a card with meta bank? Seriously their cards suck!!!!

1 0 Reply

Jan 06, 2015 #926549 Los Angeles, California

Visa upside thieves. Accused me of money laundering. Shut my card down. While in transition waiting for them to cut my check for the money in my account they still charge me monthly fee for card maintenance EVEN THOUGH I CANNOT USE THE CARD and on top of that charge a processing fee of $13 to mail your check to you. All that after they accused me of something that is completely false. I shop eBay with my card and load money on it frequently so now I'm a money launderer.....

Jul 26, 2014 #846170 Albuquerque, New Mexico

This is a card i would never advise any one to get it it has nit only refused to give me my money back on an unauthorized charge it has also over charged me in an arena that has yet to be explained and has flaged my card as potentially fraudulent and refuses to let me have my money be advised do not get this card

Jul 25, 2014 #845897

Why was I mailed this card? Did Social Security Administration share my information?

lady c

Jan 13, 2014 #773068 Walnut Creek, California

This is the worst bank service i have ever encountered.

Sep 24, 2013 #721222 Dallas, Texas

Since March 2012 I have been using a prepaid debit card provided by On Thursday, September 19, 2013, my card usage was blocked and marked as “potentially fraudulent.” I telephoned the company at 866-845-6273 and was informed that due to a “load” that was over $10,000, I needed to provide proof of where the load came from. The load was for $10,241.00 which was a student loan refund made by the university I attend. On the evening of Thursday, September 19, 2013, I faxed a copy of my student account showing the student loan refund and other information contained in the print out. That evening, my wife, who has a separate account with, checked her card and it was also marked as being “potentially fraudulent.” She called the same number and was asked to fax a copy of her driver’s license and social security card.
On Friday, September 20, 2013, my wife’s card was unblocked and the “potentially fraudulent” mark was removed. When I inquired about my card, I was informed that the” risk assessment “ could take from 24-48 hours to review my card status and given that they do not work over the weekend. The reason I was provided for this inconvenience was that pursuant to the terms and conditions agreement, the maximum load amount is no more than $10,000.
This was not the first time my debit card was loaded with a large amount from my student loan refund. I enroll in three semesters per year and every January, May, and September of the year,
... Show more

5 0 Reply

Aug 01, 2013 #691620 San Francisco, California

I have only had my upside card a few months now but have had no issues at all. I have even had a few times when I needed questions answered and my emails were returned right away. Also, love the new feature of mobile deposit like a real bank.

Jul 22, 2013 #685436 Anniston, Alabama

I have had my Upside account for over a year and have never had a problem until a couple of days ago when my account was frozen. My account status was "Potentially fraudulent" so I called the 800 number listed and talked to a customer service rep. They told me to fax copies of my ID, SS card and a Utility bill with my address and name on it to the Upside Risk Services dept. This was after midnight on a Saturday night.
I had read quite a few reviews saying that Upside was famous for saying they never received any faxes or that only part of the fax was readable.
So, On Sunday evening, I faxed my information to the number I was given. I sent the fax 3 separate times in a row, just to make sure that they would have 3 separate copies of my info when the Risk Services Dept. opened on Monday morning. Upside had told me that it would take 24-48 hours after they received my fax to lift the freeze on my account.
I woke up Monday morning and the freeze was already lifted and my account was back to normal. This whole thing took less than 48 hours.
My point is that if your account is frozen like mine was, don't be disheartened. Just follow the directions given to you by Customer Service and try your best to make SURE they receive your faxed information as quickly as possible.

Remember, if they don't receive it or if only part of the fax is readable, they won't use it and your account will stay frozen. They DO NOT Call you or email you,
... Show more

May 27, 2013 #656657

How can a bank hold your money with out reason. I have been using UpSide card for about 1 year. Until 3 days ago they were good. Now there is a potentially fraudulent block on my card. Can not talk to a supervisor and no one can tell me why it was flagged. I sent the fax information to them twice now and still they haven't released it. There is no correspondence from them by phone or email. I am disgusted with Metabank, and Upside :(

Feb 21, 2013 #612493 Pleasant Lake, Indiana

Same here. I hate Upside; complete frauds. I used their website to get a Companion card for my account. The website would not validate my information (same info on the account for nearly 4 years). Instead, they flagged it & marked my account as Potentially Fraudulent, & demanded I send copies of my ID, SS Card (whole card & number) along with my utility bills to their main office fax,.

They will not unblock my account no matter the fact that I have validated all information & more with them,.

After 3 weeks of this, I have demanded they close my account & issue a check for the money in the account:. They are now refusing to do so unless (you guessed it) I fax my SS card, ID, and bills proving my information,.

My information (even my address) has remained the same since before I even used them, yet this is the second time they havce blocked my account for no reason,. Still, they will not give me access to my money in any circumstance'. They are a ripoff".

If I could find a way to press charges against them for attepmting to commit fraud on my account for demanding every ounce of sensitive personal information & holding my money against my expressed wishes; I would,. Do not deal with them. 1592f3c

Happy happy

Jan 20, 2013 #596167 Albuquerque, New Mexico

:p very happy with the service after a year!! Now looking to see if maybe they have the same kinda deal but for a business or see how I can have two accts connecting one personal n one business! *****love meta bank upside visa card!!***

Jan 14, 2013 #593625

MetaBank in general are a piece of *** never had a problem with them before until today my student was deposited on the card its been done numorous times and my pay checks and taxes as well,today they decided that they needed conformation that the money was intended for me and made me fax in a bunch of stuff and they said it would be 4 hours nope not for this guy now they are saying tomorrow the worst part of not letting me have my 5000$ they put a hold on the $300 that i already had in the account so now im broke no food or no gas thanks alot ***

no longer an upside fan

Oct 31, 2012 #562415

Had this card for a cpl weeks and they placed a possibly fraudulent on my account which means I can't do anything..... add $ use money I already have nth... 3emails and 2phone calls later with no help I'm seriously over this card so to those who haven't been burned yet u just wait it'll happen!

Don't use UPside

Feb 28, 2013 #616126 Acworth, Georgia

They put a fraud on my account today and froze my money. Several emails and calls, no email responses, and customer service is a joke. They tell me they can't transfer you to the fraud dept, they don't have a direct line, and they don't even have a supervisor. Getting rid of the card once someone contacts me.

1 0 Reply

Oct 26, 2012 #560603

I've tried different pre-paid cards, and UpSide is definitely the best I've used. I've been with them for over a year, used it worldwide, and NEVER had a single issue with them. Every time that I email support, they reply quickly. Many people write negative reviews just because the card won't do what they want it to do! Well, read what it can and can't do BEFORE getting it, and you won't be disappointed! 5 STARS FOR UPSIDE! Very satisfied customer for over a year!

Aug 10, 2012 #526790

Only one/Meta bank stole money from me! 34 dollars down to zero in less than a month! plus the reload cards are a joke,they want SSN just for reloading it. Why don't they state that on the prepaid card itself??!! They fail to disclose reloading requirements at all, especially those reloading cards don't say anything about how to specifically reload them. to me these "upside" prepaid cards are the same as "only one" prepaid except for the name. Even prepaid cards other than metabank state that you must have a SSN and be at least 18 years of age to use this card in large bold letters on the package. This institution will want you to buy their cards so they could drain your money all the time until you ditch this card.

Jan 29, 2014 #779798

If you want to load funds it is best to use a green dot moneypak card

May 30, 2012 #488685

They put a fraud block on my card just because they wanted a physical address. What the *** difference does it make, and what if I don't have a street address??? While my account is on hold, they continue to earn interest on my money. Multiply that times many, many customers, and you can see all of the extra money they are making by inconveniencing their customers!

1-20 of 27 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Metabank. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

You were reading a complaint about Metabank.
Filing a new complaint about